Monday, January 26, 2009

Waltzing Matilda

Saturday, I was packing dishes in my kitchen with the TV on for company when aTom Hanks movie crept in like a subtle melody ( Castaway) and I ended up exploring what the movie might mean (to me). I had never heard anyone tell me it was a good movie, only disappointed fans chimed in over the years to say it sucked but, I am glad I gave it a chance. I was particularly moved by Wilson. For 2 days I wondered why Wilson touched me so deeply. I was packing more dishes today when a real old song crept into my head like a subtle movie.....You'll go a waltzin' Matilda with me"

4 comments:

bcallegra said...

Waltzing Matilda - I haven't thought about that song in years and now you have stuck in my head! I remember learning it and singing it in grade school in Taegu, Korea.

sharonwue said...

Mark's favorite song. Since he was a kid. I think 'waltzing matilda' means wandering, or walk-a-bout.

Kelly said...

With very little dialogue, that movie was more interesting than most conversations. And, yeh, everyone needs a Wilson. My Wilson is a pack of American Spirit yellows.

Iretti said...

The title is Australian slang for traveling by foot with one's goods in a "Matilda" (bag) slung over one's back.
The song narrates the story of an itinerant worker making a drink of tea at a bush camp and stealing a sheep to eat. When the sheep's owner arrives with three police officers to arrest the worker for the theft (a crime punishable by hanging), the worker drowns himself in a small watering hole and goes on to haunt the site.