Thursday, December 23, 2010

who knew

As many of you know, I am now employed by the city of New Orleans at the Lakeview Public Library. I am coming off of week 3 and I thought I'd share with ya'll some of the things I have learned!
1) You have to be quiet at the Library.This is particularly hard for me as I am ( and was in the last 4 previous lives) a chirping bird!
2) As a city employee and serving the public, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I am not allowed to reveal my own. Again, this is particularly difficult for me.
3) All non fiction is filed using the DDS and all of the numbers are microscopic and it seems that every book I have to shelve is located on the bottom shelves which requires me to lay down on the floor and place one side of my face against the floor to see the numbers and find it's spot. ( I am more amazed that the same lengths were taken to borrow the book!
4) Lunch is an hour long and it's my favorite part of the day! The Library is conveniently located in a sweet little neighborhood with coffee shops and market, little cafes and a drugstore.I also get 2 breaks.I love the breaks, especially after shelving.
5) Not all children like story time but all children like sitting on my guitar case and huge stuffed animals and everybody loves stickers.
6)There is justice at the Library! If you are late returning an item, you are fined. You don't get to dispute it, you can't bully your way out of it and even if you refuse to pay the fine, it will show up on your profile FOREVER, Nobody really pays their fines, but I like that they are there.
( I am glad this justice system did not exist back when I was an irresponsible borrower)
7)People that work at the library are VERY cool.
8) I love this place

2 comments:

bcallegra said...

I'm very jealous, I've always wanted to work in a library or a bookstore.

Russell Sprout said...

ummm...Mom? They definitely had fines at the library (the "justice system" you refer to) when you were a borrower....as long as there have been libraries, there have been fines. I'm sure a librarian in Carthage is going to hunt you down for your fines through your blog...